Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Naxi Embroidery

I finally found the time to sit down and translate the artist's description of the embroidery.  I now have a different outlook on the artwork after reading the artist's intentions.  The translation follows:
Happy New Year.  Of the Miao ethnic minority all women wear this type of clothing for holidays, special gatherings, and just for fun.  The girl in the picture is named Ah Xiali (pronounced Ashley), and she is preparing to return home.   The hutong street she is walking on is a peaceful one.   To her surprise she hears a man’s voice behind her.  He calls Ah Xiali’s name and begins softly singing a love song.  Ah Xiali feels bashful and her face is turning hot and red as she blushes.  She uses her fan to cover her face in embarrassment as she tires to turn around to see who owns the strange voice, but is far too shy and cannot, although she does enjoy the song.     
I feel like Ah Xiali looks a bit more annoyed than embarrassed, but maybe that is just me.  My first impression was that she was a young ethnic minority making a trip to the city finding herself overwhelmed and upset at what she was seeing.  later I thought it was a representation of repression of the Miao minority, but after reading the artist's description I like the embroidery even more.  I believe the last line is interesting because it admits that although she is embarrassed by the attention she cannot help but enjoy it.


--
Jordan J. Foley
傅力波

No comments:

Post a Comment