Wednesday, May 4, 2011

10 Years Later

I have not been back to this memory in a few years. I was in 7th Grade at the time and I was sitting in math class when our teacher wheeled in a TV from the AV room and explained to us what had happened. At the time it was unclear if it was an accident and, if it was not, then who was behind such an event? I remember my head being filled with questions, and, looking back on some of the answers I received, I now see how confused we all were that day. A lot of things were said that day, but one sentence that has stuck in my mind to this day was when my math teacher said, “You all will remember this day, this exact moment for the rest of your lives.” I did not understand why I would remember that fact that I was sitting in at a desk on a second floor class room at Shady Side Academy Middle School three rows back the moment I found out about the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers. Almost ten years later I can recall every detail of that moment, like I can close my eyes and reconstruct the room. When I do the room does not have people, just empty desks and a TV on a stand with wheels ten feet in front of me.

I have not forgotten that feeling, and it has been such a defining part of my life that I can say for certain I would not be the same person pursuing the same goals as I am today if it had not been for the events of 9/11. I believe it is fair to say that most of my classmates submitted their applications partially due to bearing witness to that day. When the metaphorical dust cleared and the man behind the attack had been identified, another feeling came over me. After the attacks I had dispersed anger and hatred, but when the mastermind was singled out my emotions focused like a laser beam on one human being, Osama bin Laden.

I thought to myself, when would we get this guy: today, tomorrow, next week? As weeks passed and the breaking news became less frequent I went on with my life, as we all did, but these memories and feelings stayed the same. Now almost ten years later I found out that the man who devised a plan that killed so many innocent people had been put to justice. I found out in Jiaxing, China, a suburb of Shanghai, while eating lunch at my friend Billy’s parent’s home.

When the attacks happened it seemed like there was no air in the room. The next day the pledge of allegiance echoed through the halls and I felt linked with every American. After witnessing the reaction of bin Laden’s death in China I can truly see how only the emotions shared on 9/11 can be only understood by other Americans. In China, it was just news. Unless you were there and it was your country that was attacked this news did not strike you. Billy’s family seemed surprised at the news and asked if I was happy. It was a strange question, but they keep the vocabulary pretty simple for me so I am sure they would have liked to use another word other than “happy.” I replied in the best Chinese I could to explain my feelings and could not find the words. I turned to my friend Billy to explain in English, and I could still not find the words. I was speechless in every language.

That is how I remain about the event. I cannot say I have done much more than reflect on the feelings I had back in 7th grade, but I have also looked forward. It is too often that I forget why I decided to do what I am doing. I never bring up the reason why I chose what I chose, but I know, whether subconsciously or not, I had to do something to make sure that no one in America would ever feel like they did on 9/11.

In China, it is too hard to explain to anyone what I feel right now and maybe there should not be any feeling. Nothing is over, those who died are not back, and nothing has been won. However, what this does offer to me is proof that I chose the right career, because I was able to remember the reason I wanted to serve in the first place.

--

Jordan J. Foley
傅力波

No comments:

Post a Comment