Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Shanghai III

Last weekend was my third and final trip to Shanghai. I made my first journey to Shanghai during the Spring Festival when I stayed for a week and celebrated the Chinese New Year with Billy. The second trip was made two weeks ago and I went to Hangzhou and Jiaxing with Billy. The third trip was this past weekend and I definitely consider Shanghai now my home away from Beijing.

This past weekend was a trip to visit my two friends Rob and Owen at their school in Shanghai. I went on vacation with Rob to Yunan and to Thailand with Owen so I am pretty close to both of these guys and I wanted to say, “bye” before I headed back to America in three weeks. The weekend was a great time, as always, and we went to a few of the clubs where Owen works as a “promoter.” The way Owen described his job is that they tell him to bring Western people to the club. I did not believe this at first but we talked to his boss for a bit and he said that the more Western people in a club the better the club appears to the Chinese people. Basically Westerns are like a living advertisement.

This weekend was not filled with too much culture, but Owen has a lot of Shanghai friends who do not speak English so we were speaking Chinese for a majority of the weekend. Even when we were together with just one of the Chinese guys we spoke Chinese to each other so no one would feel left out. It was good practice and I definitely saw five months of hard studying reflected in my speech.

The next two weekends I planned two trips I have been awaiting since I came to China. The first weekend is a trip to Xi’an to see the Terracotta Soldiers and Emperor Qin’s tomb. The weekend after that I will go to Qingdao to visit the city where the most famous beer in China was born and the site of the largest naval base. Not to mention, my hostel is on the beach!

After these two quick weekend trips the next time I will be traveling is to come home. I know it is cliché to say but it is crazy how fast it has gone by. As I look at my word count in the document I save all of these blog posts in it reads 32,954 words creating 48 pages.



--

Jordan J. Foley
傅力波

1 comment: